Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What I want to be when I grow up:



Can I just say that I love my mother? And I promise I'm not just saying that because she'll probably read it. I think a lot about how lucky I am to have such a great family, especially my momma. There are so many daughters out there who have these contentious relationships with their mothers, and I'm happy to say I'm not one of them. I like spending time with Momma, and I sometimes get jealous when she's too busy for me.




Also, my home would be a wreck without her. For some reason, I just didn't inherit her eye for design. Shortly after I moved into my current apartment, she came over and appraised the decor, then asked if she could rearrange a few things. All she did was move some furniture around and add a few throw pillows, and the place suddenly looked like a proper home rather than a dorm room.




When I think about motherhood and parenting, I always come to the conclusion that I should emulate her style. There were all these little things that she did that made me feel loved, and a little spoiled. Here are a few examples:




Blow-drying my hair after a bath, and blowing the warm air onto my cold, bare skin.


Secretly going into my room and tidying it up while I was at school.


Taking me on spontaneous adventures. (A friend and I were recently reminiscing about how we were playing together and Momma said "come on girls, we're going out!" And took us horseback riding)


Providing me with a mug of hot-chocolate to sip while waiting for the school bus on winter mornings.




There are so many other little things like this! In fact, here is an excerpt from an e-mail she sent today:

AND I got the sofa for you (the white one at auction). I would like to
come out this evening and switch so we can try it on. B and I LOVE
it!! So, if you WANT, why don't we play with your house tonight? We can
move the futon back to Husband's office, and see how this sofa looks.


I'm looking forward to it!


2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

That's such a sweet tribute to your mom. I also love your mom, as well as my own. We really are lucky that we have good relationships with our mothers. Another fond memory I have of your mom is when she used to take us to Thrift Stores, and she let us go through the seats in her car to find spare change to go shopping!

Veronica Hohenstein said...

I'm so lucky to have a caring and thoughtful mom too. Cutting my PB&Js diagonally and not horizontally, sewing every one of my Halloween costumes, brushing the 'tangles' out of my hair when I was little. The list goes on and on!