Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Crying Over Rotten Asparagus

In one of my earliest posts I mentioned that one of my goals is to develop healthier eating habits. One of the biggest obstacles to reaching that goal is that I can never seem to eat the fresh fruits and vegetables I buy before they go bad.



Last night I got out some asparagus that I bought on Saturday so that I could cook it for dinner and was so aggravated to find that it had already gone bad. After some Internet searching I learned that asparagus only has a shelf-life of 2 to 3 days. I'll keep that in mind next time I go shopping, and plan to cook asparagus the day I buy it.



In my digging I found this article from Real Simple about how to keep produce fresh. This article also explains why the carrots I bought a couple weeks ago went bad: I left the greens on them when I put them in the fridge.



I'm amazed at how much I didn't know about storing food. If you have any tips about how to keep things fresh, please share!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Hey Molly;
Sometimes people place asparagus upright in the fridge in a little (little)water--like flowers in a vase to help keep them fresh.

emily said...

Put ripe bananas in your fridge. The skin will turn black, but the fruit inside will stay ripe longer and not get mushy.

Sarah said...

I have an ethylene eating egg in my vegetable drawer.