Friday, October 17, 2008

Don't spend it all in one place!



Last night, the in-laws invited us to dinner so that they could present us with our wedding gift. It was a fairly large sum of money, and they told us to do with it what we wish.

So now there's a decision to be made. How will Husband and I collaboratively use this money?


I can think of a zillion things to spend it on for myself. I could get those perfect Louboutin pumps I've been dreaming of, or buy a season's opera tickets, or buy one opera ticket and a fabulous dress to go with it.



I expect that Husband's is imagining a new souped-up computer.



If we're going to do something to benefit both of us, its a bit more of a challenge. Traditionally, we should get something for our home, like a new piece of furniture. We have an ugly shelf in the living room that our TV sits on. We could afford to replace it with a nicer one from IKEA, and maybe even have enough left over for a flat-screen TV.

Then there are our financial goals that need to be attended to. We could dump the cash in a savings account and add to it until we have enough to make a down-payment for a house. We could also invest it.




We had so much fun on our honeymoon, that I'd love to save it for our next vacation too. Husband wants to go to Alaska, and although it wouldn't be my first choice for a destination, I know it would be beautiful.




What if we just cheated and split the dough, 50/50?

2 comments:

Veronica Hohenstein said...

Louboutin pumps all the way!!!

thesarahunit said...

You could put some in a collaborative project and give each of you some spending money each. Or put some in savings and each get some spending money each.
That's probably what Aaron and I would do... Ha.
S-Boy