Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spoiled Brat


I enjoy doing nice things for Husband. Who doesn't like to do things to make the people they care about happy?
For example, this morning, I woke up early. When I went to brew my coffee, I saw that I had a box of blueberry muffin mix on hand. Blueberry muffins are one of husbands favorite treats, and with the mix, they don't take long to make. So I whipped them up while he was still sleeping so that there would be a surprise for him to wake up to.
Sometimes, I do nice things for my own sake as much as for his. A few days ago, Husband was doing laundry, but couldn't find the time (or the interest) to hang up his dress shirts. When I was ready to turn in for the night, I found them heaped on the bed. In my usual after 9:00 stupor, I dumped them on the floor.
Of course, they have been on the floor ever since, and I'm really and truly trying to keep the place clean, so I decided to put them away. Of course, they were hopelessly wrinkled. Knowing that Husband has a few job interviews coming up, and that if I didn't do it, he certainly wouldn't, I took it upon myself to iron them too.
When I get into these generous moods, Husband is very appreciative and it puts him in a good mood, so it really does benefit me almost as much as it benefits him.
But sometimes, I worry that he's getting spoiled. Is he expecting this sort of thing from me all the time? Am I setting him up to become dependent on my own efforts? Lord knows he is totally incapable of any kind of cooking that goes beyond the microwave.

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

That is sweet that you iron your hubby's shirts. Have you ever used Downy Wrinkle Release? Just spray it on the shirt, smooth out the wrinkles with your hands, and you're done. I sound like a commercial, but seriously it's great!

Molly said...

I have used it, but I find that the results aren't quite the same. It's good for a quick-fix, though!