Monday, August 10, 2009

Being Alive

Ok, at risk of sounding like one of those angsty teenagers who talks about how a certain song describes perfectly how she feels about her boyfriend, here goes:

Last night I was watching the musical Company on PBS (frequently interrupted by PBS representatives begging for money, of course). I used to love this show when I was in high school, but hadn't really seen it since.


So when Robert's big number came at the finale of the second act, what he had to say (er...sing?) hit me harder than ever. You see, he's singing about marriage and why he has avoided it, and yet why he also longs for it; and it struck me because I always find myself defending my unconventional relationship with my own husband, but Robert's words described exactly the sort of relationship Husband and I have.





Somebody, hold me too close, (Sometimes, he likes to
get in my space and smother me just to laugh at my claustrophobic
reaction.)


Somebody, hurt me too deep, (he does it too often
to count, I probably do it to him too.)


Somebody, sit in my chair


And ruin my sleep (Have I mentioned our disparate
work schedules?)


And make me aware


Of being alive,


Being alive.


Somebody, need me too much, (The man is helpless, I
tell you, HELPLESS.)


Somebody, know me too well, (we have a super hard
time keeping secrets from each-other.)


Somebody, pull me up short


And put me through hell


And give me support


For being alive,


Make me alive.


Make me confused, (So often, I ask myself why I
love this guy so much, and I just don't have the answer. I'm not even sure
I need the answer anymore.)


Mock me with praise, (Oh the sarcasm.)


Let me be used,


Vary my days.


But alone is alone, not alive.


Somebody, crowd me with love,


Somebody, force me to care, (He and I just don't
have the same interests, so this is an ongoing thing for both of us.
"Honey, it's not just any opera, it's TRAVIATA!")


Somebody, make me
come through,


I'll always be there,


As frightened as you,


To help us survive


Being alive,


Being alive,


Being alive!

This has been your daily mushiness. You can thank me later.



photo by Sandy Underwood: Raul Esparza in Company

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still love that show. It's been forever since I've seen it! -Millie