Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day

I had a big long post planned about how Valentines Day is a fake holiday invented by retailers to force men to give women gifts in order to get a piece of ass. I was going to write about how Husband and I haven't really celebrated Valentines Day except for when we first started dating and still had something to prove to each other. And then I was going to confess that even though I feel that way I still get a little disappointed when I see other women being wined-and-dined.

I was going to write all about all of that until I found the diamond earrings that Husband strategically placed in my path today.




3 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree that the modern Valentine's Day has been developed commercially, its traditions predate Christianity.

St Valentine's Day dates back to Medieval times, as a Christian feast day, and was mentioned by Chaucer as a time for lovers.

This is also the end of the ancient Greek month of Gamelion, celebrating the marriage of Zeus and Hera.

February 15 is the Roman pagan fertility festival Lupercalia.
As a young wife you should hope to receive a lash from the skin of a sacred goat to encourage your firtility.

So, the Christian church kept its tradition of hijacking pagan festivals for its own purpose, and the card manufacturers got on board in the mid 19th century.

Sarah said...

I agree that the modern Valentine's Day has been developed commercially, its traditions predate Christianity.

St Valentine's Day dates back to Medieval times, as a Christian feast day, and was mentioned by Chaucer as a time for lovers.

This is also the end of the ancient Greek month of Gamelion, celebrating the marriage of Zeus and Hera.

February 15 is the Roman pagan fertility festival Lupercalia.
As a young wife you should hope to receive a lash from the skin of a sacred goat to encourage your fertility.

So, the Christian church kept its tradition of hijacking pagan festivals for its own purpose, and the card manufacturers got on board in the mid 19th century.

MillielovesMolly said...

They are beautiful! The only Valentines Gift I got was that JenLouise came to visit and that you sent me flowers. SO thank you for making me feel special that day! Michael and I just couldn't afford to do anything other then home made stuff. So i made him a cake. :)