Last night I got out some asparagus that I bought on Saturday so that I could cook it for dinner and was so aggravated to find that it had already gone bad. After some Internet searching I learned that asparagus only has a shelf-life of 2 to 3 days. I'll keep that in mind next time I go shopping, and plan to cook asparagus the day I buy it.
In my digging I found this article from Real Simple about how to keep produce fresh. This article also explains why the carrots I bought a couple weeks ago went bad: I left the greens on them when I put them in the fridge.
I'm amazed at how much I didn't know about storing food. If you have any tips about how to keep things fresh, please share!

3 comments:
Hey Molly;
Sometimes people place asparagus upright in the fridge in a little (little)water--like flowers in a vase to help keep them fresh.
Put ripe bananas in your fridge. The skin will turn black, but the fruit inside will stay ripe longer and not get mushy.
I have an ethylene eating egg in my vegetable drawer.
Post a Comment